HEAD JOINS GOV. HOLCOMB FOR SIGNING OF SCHOOL BUS SAFETY BILL: State Sen. Randy Head (R-Logansport, seated left) joins Gov. Eric Holcomb (seated, center) as he ceremonially signs Senate Enrolled Act 2 into law at the Statehouse Wednesday, May 29. Head authored SEA 2, also called the MAXSTRONG Act, in response to the 2018 school bus accident in Fulton County where three children tragically lost their lives.
· Increases the penalties for drivers who violate school bus stop laws, including making a violation that results in death a Level 5 felony;
· Requires schools to minimize the number of bus stops that make children cross highways in high-speed areas;
· Increases public awareness about Indiana’s school bus laws;
· Allows a school corporation, charter school or accredited nonpublic school with at least one employee to purchase, install and operate stop-arm cameras; and
· Requires each school corporation, charter school or accredited nonpublic school that provides student transportation to review their school bus routes and safety policies annually.