INDIANAPOLIS –Customers in need of tax preparation assistance are encouraged to take advantage of the free services offered by the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) and other reputable organizations. Programs are available for both low-income and senior taxpayers.
One of the programs available to Hoosiers is the Indiana free file (INfreefile) program, which allows taxpayers who qualify the ability to file their state and federal tax returns for free online. Taxpayers with an adjusted gross income of $62,000 or less may qualify.
Additionally, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers two helpful programs: the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program.
- The VITA program offers free tax help to individuals with an adjusted gross income of $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and limited English speaking taxpayers. IRS certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation including electronic filing.
- The TCE program offers free tax help for taxpayers who are 60 years or older. These IRS certified volunteers specialize in retirement-related issues unique to seniors.
The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program also offers free tax preparation for low or moderate income taxpayers, focusing on those who are 50 and older. Indiana has more than 100 AARP sites throughout the state.
“Providing opportunities for Hoosiers to receive tax assistance when needed is a high priority, collaborative effort among several great organizations,” said DOR Commissioner Adam Krupp. “It’s important for taxpayers to know that several types of assistance are available in locations throughout the state.”
More information regarding location and service details is provided below.
INfreefile (online service)
- Visit the website at www.freefile.dor.in.gov
- Contact DOR Customer Service at 317-232-2240
Volunteer Income Assistance and Tax Counseling for the Elderly
- To find a location, visit https://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/
- For more program information, visit https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-tax-return-preparation-for-you-by-volunteers
- Contact 317-685-7500 to speak to a representative
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide
- To find a location, visit https://secure.aarp.org/applications/VMISLocator/searchTaxAideLocations.action
- For more program information, visit https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/info-2004/about_aarp_taxaide.html
- Contact 1-888-227-7669 to speak to a representative
SOURCE: News release from Indiana Department of Revenue